What is a good vegan cookbook?

Amazon actually came up with a list for the “best” vegan cookbooks, based on user ratings and reviews! Here are the top three in the list, consecutively.

The Complete Guide to Vegan Food Substitutions makes a great addition to your cookbook collection because it allows you to make lots of recipes while substituting the ingredients that aren’t vegan for ones that are. It lists amounts and instructions for a really wide variety of ingredients, as well as giving over 200 vegan recipes. It also has photographs and charts for reference. The authors also co-authored 500 Vegan Recipes, so if you like this book you can check out their other titles.

The Joy of Vegan Baking by Colleen Patrick- Goudreau, Vegan Planet by Robin Roberson and Veganomicon by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Romero. Other good vegan cookbooks can be found at the source provided!

It’s not the most practical cookbook, but Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World, by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Romero, has seventy-five creative vegan cupcake recipes, including s’mores and lemon macadamia.

Veganomicon is the most delicious I’ve found. I second that vote.

The Vegetarian Times put out a cookbook called “Everything Vegan 250+ Healthy Recipes.” I like it because it doesn’t use a lot of false meats/cheeses/eggs as main ingredients.

Skinny Bitch: Ultimate Everyday Cookbook by Kim Barnouin is a vegan cookbook that not only contains numerous vegan recipes, but also discusses the sustainability of a greener diet in its introduction, offers kitchen staples every vegan should have in their pantry, and offers many vegan alternatives to food items that usually arent, such as salad dressings, drinks, etc.

I have David’s Vegetarian Kitchen (even though the title says “vegetarian”, it’s a vegan cookbook) and love the corn chowder recipe. I’ve also found some great vegan recipes online. Chef Chloe, Oh She Glows, and The Gluttonous Vegan all have creative recipes for food and baking. Everybody Likes Sandwiches posts vegan and vegetarian recipes often, even though it’s not a vegan site. 

I like Vegan Planet: 400 Irresistible Recipes with Fantastic Flavors from Home and Around the World by Robin Robertson. If you’re like me and like variety, then I recommend it. I get bored with the same dishes, so I like a book with a lot of different recipes.

I love Isa’s cupcake cookbook to pieces.  In fact, mine is currently falling to pieces, it gets used to often!  🙂

Yellow Rose Recipes by Joanna Vaught is excellent.  It contains grocery store friendly recipes that are tasty, nutritious, and easy to prepare.

Vegan Yum Yum by Lauren Ulm is great, too.

If you’re cooking for omnivores who think vegan food is scary and weird, serve them a meal from Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen by Donna Klein.  It’s all pasta, olives, tomatoes, eggplant, fruits of different types, and not a block of tofu to be found anywhere!  🙂

Happy Herbivore by Lindsey Nixon. She not only makes delicious vegan food healthy , but also easy to make (no crazy ingredients .. rather short lists of ingredients) and most of them take 30 minutes or less.

Lindsey has another book Everyday Happy Herbivore ( I think) which I am certain is also great if you are looking for easy and healthy.

I also have Vegan With a Vengeance by Isa which is also awesome, but not as healthy or easy on ingredients or fast. The recipes are absolutely delicious tho and there are lots of very yummy sweets. This is like going to an awesome vegan restaurant.