What is a good natural shampoo?

Organic shampoos are more environmentally-friendly than their chemical counterparts, but that does not necessarily mean that they are 100% beneficial for your body. There are a number of chemicals found in some organic shampoos that can dry out the scalp, aggravate oil glands and wear out follicles. These include:Mureth Sulfate, Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate, Propylene Glycol and Olefin Solfonate. Sodium Lauryl Sulfates can also lead to these problems, and have been linked to cataracts in adults and poor eye development in children. Shampoos and Conditioners derived from the tea tree, beta glucan, aloe vera and/or coconut oil seem to provide the most for users, in terms of relieving scalp irritation, moisturizing and enhancing hair color and body. 

I must say that my ultimate favorite is the Burt’s Bee- Pomegranate and soy volumizing shampoo- it leaves your hair smelling terrific and super shiny.

There are some very good whole foods 365 everyday value shampoos and conditioners, if there is a whole foods in your area.

In the US today, there is no gold standard for body care products. They do not have to meet certain requirements to call themselves organic, so on an American shampoo label “organic” does not mean the same thing “organic” means on a food label. With that in mind, I have tried out a number of organic body care products and I am currently using L’Occitane shampoo and conditioner. L’Occitane is originally a French company, so their organic standards are different from ours. They make it a point to let consumers know, by their common name, all the ingredients a bottle contains. Their website has a botanical listing from A-Z of all their ingredients. They are also concerned with the production, formulation, and packaging of their products. Though they are not yet 100% sustainable, they will not use any ingredient if it would harm its natural habitat. Plus, it works really well and smells good!

One of my favorite shampooos is Dr. Bronner’s Magic Soaps in liquid form. They are vegetable based and biodegradable, so I feel okay about letting the soap wash down the drain, and are also certified fair trade products and don’t have any kind of thickeners or preservatives in them. The bottle it comes in is 100% recycled and it comes in lots of great scents that are really nice in the steam of a shower. Plus, the labels are jam-packed with philosophies and sayings by Dr. Bronner himself, and are hilarious to read in the shower. Some people find that the soap is a little bit drying on their hair; if I run into that I use a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar mixed with a cup of cool water that I pour over my head; it’s a really nice conditioner that is also very natural and easy on the environment when it washes down the drain.

A shampoo I really like is JustNatural shampoo.Whenever I’ve used this shampoo, the soap has actually lathered and made me feel clean. This doesn’t happen when I use other eco-friendly products. They offer shampoo for all types of hair. Most of their shampoos do not containt chemicals, alcohol, harsh detergents, and are made in the USA. A really good aspect of this product is that they vegan and do nto test on animals.

Hey you might want to try using baking soda and apple cidar vinegar as an all-natural approach to your hair regimene. You see, baking soda is great for washing out the impuritites in your hair while apple cidar vinegar can really soften & detangle your hair.

Now, if that’s not your cup of tea, you should look into buying shampoo from these brands:

1. Terraessentials Fragrance Free Shampoo
    2. Avalon Organics
    3. Aubry Organics
    4. Giovanni
    5. Dr. Hauschka