What is a good homemade and healthy Valentine’s dinner recipe?

1. mle

Think local, organic and grass-fed!  🙂  I personally think the healthiest way to eat is following the “paleo” lifestyle – no grains, dairy or legumes.  Here are a few delicious healthy recipes from some of my favorite sites!

I think a good homemade and healthy Valentine’s dinner recipe is one that has history with you and your loved one. The most romantic dinners to me are the ones that bring back memories of special times you’ve had together, or that dress up a favorite meal. Also, comfort food is always romantic to me. A particularly pretty, healthy, and delicious meal I ate recently that my partner described as “very satisfying” was roasted butternut squash and cranberries, with a side of roasted brussel sprouts and creamy mashed potatoes. It’s sweet, it’s salty, and it’s creamy. What more could you ask for?

To keep your Valentine’s Day dinner healthy, feature seasonal fruits and vegetables as main courses. Stuffed squash with herbed goat cheese would make a great entree, with roasted winter vegetables on the side. Chocolate covered fruit or vanilla poached pears would make a great dessert. Good luck!

Eating Well has a great feature up right now with a long list of main dish and dessert recipes for two people that are healthy, delicious, and affordable. A few that stood out to me were the Marmalade Chicken for Two, Turkey Marsala, and Chicken & Farfalle with Creamy Walnut Sauce. For dessert, you could try Chocolate Fondue, Sauteed Pear Sundaes, or the Chocolate Crepes with Orange & Chocolate Sauce. Yum!

Here’s a great recipe for Vegan Valentine Lasagna. MY boyfriend and I have made this together before.

Spinach Lasagna

Monday, February 08, 2010

4:38 PM

Ingredients for marinara sauce

• 4 tsp. olive oil
    • 8 cloves garlic
    • 2 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes
    • 1/2 tsp. thyme
    • 1/2 tsp. oregano
    • 1 tsp. salt
    • Pepper

Add oil and garlic to saucepan and sauté for a min. Add remaining ingredients, cover, and simmer for 15 min, stirring occasionally.

Ingredients for tofu filling

• 2 lb. tofu
    • 4 tsp. lemon juice
    • Garlic powder
    • 1/2 tsp. salt
    • Pepper
    • Basil
    • 4 tsp. olive oil
    • 1/2 c. nutritional yeast

In large bowl, mash tofu with hands until crumbly. Add lemon juice, garlic, salt, pepper, and basil. Mash with hands until mushy. Add olive oil and stir with fork. Add yeast and mix well with fork. Refrigerate.

Ingredients for almond topping

• 1 c. sliced almonds
    • 2 tbsp. sesame seeds
    • 1/4 tsp. salt
    • 1/2 tsp. lemon zest

Combine these in blender until they form small crumbs

Ingredients for lasagna

• 1 lb. lasagna noodles
    • 2 lb. spinach
    • 2 tbsp. olive oil
    • Salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 375. Steam spinach for 10 min until wilted and deep green. Squeeze out excess water and chop. Toss with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Ladle ½ c marinara into bottom of 9×13 pan and layer with lasagna noodles (can be precooked). Add half ricotta mix then layer of spinach, then 1/3 of remaining sauce. Add another layer noodles, the rest of ricotta, the rest of spinach, and another 1/3 of sauce. Top with remaining noodles and remaining sauce. Sprinkle with almond topping. Cover pan with foil and bake 30 to 35 min. Remove foil and bake another 20 min until sauce bubbles. Cool 10 min.

Something you can make together like sushi. Sushi is healthy because it contains very little to no oil, veggies and/or seafood. Complete the meal with miso soup, salad and maybe homemade green tea cake or mochi. Japanese food is easy to make and is pretty healthy. It uses simple ingredients and very minimal seasoning. More information provided here: http://www.thekitchn.com/the-essential-sushi-guide-123346