What is a good eco friendly snack for kids?

There are so many.  What about fresh, whole, organic smoothie pops?  In a blender puree 1 banana, 1.5 cups fresh berries (your choice), and 1/4 cup agave syrup in a blender until smooth.  Pour into a popsicle mold, let freeze, and voila! Tasty, homemade, fresh and natural freeze pops the kids will love and that are good for them.  (*Using organic and/or locally grown fruits makes this recipe even better!) 

The classic ants-on-a-log never gets old: Chop celery (again, organic and local makes this even tastier) into edible bite size pieces.  Spoon enough natural peanut or almond butter into the celery’s groove and sprinkle with raisins.  Tasty, fun to eat, and good for you — the perfect trio!

Pita pizza is another favorite.  Using whole wheat, organic pita bread, cover with your favorite red sauce (homemade is so tasty).  Add your favorite grilled veggies, cheese if you’d like, and any other toppings that fit your fancy (my favorite is sliced avocado).  Throw in the toaster oven or under the broiler for a a few minutes until everything heats up (or the cheese melts), slice and enjoy. 

What about fresh bruschetta made from your garden?  You could turn it into an entire project.  Have your child help you plant a garden with veggies and herbs.  When it is time to harvest the plants the two of you could make recipes together using what you picked!  You could keep it nice and easy and make fresh salsa too!

Also for those of you that aren’t the best cooks, I’d say just a plain apple or orange from your backyard would suffice! I actually have many orange trees in my backyard, and each time my little cousins come over we pick some and make fresh orange juice. You could do the same with lemons as well. If you don’t have the luxury of having your own fruit producing trees, then taking a quick walk to your local supermarket could be a fun activity for you and the kids.