What is a good cheap food that is loaded with nutrients?

There is so much food you could purchase that is nutrient-rich! Some grains include oatmeal, whole grain barley, multi-grain bread, and whole wheat noodles. Tilapia, peanut butter, and lamp chops, from the meat and beans category, are also rich in nutrients. Some fruits include avocados, apricots, bananas, cranberries, and raisins. Asparagus, red onions, sweet potatoes, broccoli, and bell peppers are a good choice of vegetables, just to name a few. All of these products can be found at a grocery store. However, you can most likely find them at a local farmer’s market for a much cheaper price. Check out the link for an even more detailed list of nutrient-rich food choices.

One of my go-to meals is pasta with tomato sauce. Pasta comes in whole wheat varieties, and is very inexpensive. Tomatoes have lots of antioxidants, and you can find cans of tomato sauce for very low prices. If you want to save money, get plain tomato sauce and grow your own herbs to add to it. I have had success growing oregano, but basil just doesn’t like me for some reason. Supposedly garlic is also easy to grow, but I have not had much luck with that, either. You can also throw in fresh vegetables like mushrooms and zucchini. Just cook the vegetables (and sausage if you want some extra protein) first in a skillet and then pour the sauce over it and mix it all together.

As shaunabannan said, local vegetables are often cheaper. I find that produce stand prices are even less expensive than farmer’s market prices. Plus, produce stands are often open every day of the week.

Everyone needs some protein in their diet, and vegetarian sources are a great way to fill your protein needs cheaply. During my first year cooking for myself, I made a large batch of pinto beans every week and used them in various dishes. Dry pinto beans and red beans are very cheap, but need to be soaked overnight and then cooked over low heat for a long time. So, it is a good idea to make a large batch that you can use for several days. Lentils are also a very cheap source of protein and red lentils cook a lot faster than beans. My family often makes a red lentil soup when they don’t have any other plans for dinner.

Eggs are another good source of protein. They are less expensive than meat, and make an easy addition to numerous dishes. If you have chickens like I do, then that’s even better!