What is a good book to read about the environment?

According to Amazon, the most popular books that have to do with the environment rank as follows:

1. The Hockeystick Illusion – by A.W. Montford
    2. Slow Death by Rubber Duck – by Rick Smith
    3. Green for Life – by Victoria Boutenko
    4. The Botany of Desire – by Michael Pollan
    5. How to Grow More Vegetables and Fruits – by John Jeavons
    6. The National Parks – by Dayton Duncan

Visit the link for more options.  On the site you can browse different subcategories that have to do with the environment, such as conservation, natural disasters, and weather.

I would recommend “Hot, Flat, and Crowded” by Thomas Friedman.  It takes on the issue of global warming and the steps America can take to help preserve its leadership position in the world by embracing clean energy and green technology R&D.

The book “Collapse”.  Well actually Collapse will make you want to cry. Cry and wonder why you bother living.   But “Our Choice” is a good book to cheer yourself up with after because it talks about actual solutions. 

It depends on the topic.  A classic environmental book is “Silent Spring” by Rachel Carson Levine.  It talks about pollution, pesticides and how we impact the environment.  For every imaginable environmental topic, there is probably a book that directly relates to it.

I recommend Cradle to Cradle.  It is about sustainability by design.  Essentially, no part of a product is wasted because it is designed to be downcycled; it can be broken down into its component parts and reused or made into something else. 

A pretty interesting fictional read is Nature’s End by Whitley Strieber. The author imagines a world where we have destroyed nature and what it would be like. This was published in the 1980s, and you will see that some of the author’s prophecies have actually come true. It’s out of print now, so a used bookstore or Amazon would be a good place to check it out.

‘The Celestine Prophecy’ by James Redfield is a great book that draws on the connection between people and the environment and how they interact with energy.  The book was written as a ‘journey’ and most believe, to escape the controversey that spins around the story.  The sequel is fantastic too, ‘the Tenth Insight’.

Though I have not yet read it, I have heard that the book Food, Inc.: A Participant Guide: How Industrial Food is Making Us Sicker, Fatter, and Poorer- And What You Can Do About It is really good.  I saw the documentary, and would highly recommend it.  Surely the book is just as good.  Although the link to the environment may not be entirely evident, I believe that food has a huge environmental impact, and that often if something is bad for humans to eat, it is also bad for the planet.

Check out “The Story of Stuff” by Anne Leonard. It’s about materialism and all of the energy used and wasted to produce the things we use each day. For example, it takes gallons of water for your one cup of coffee! It’s packed with staggering statistics and enlightening explanations. Anne wrote the book after her 20-minute video on the topic became popular.

A Sand County Almanac by Aldo Leopold is my personal favorite.  It is non-fiction but it’s done in a way that incredibly pleasing to the senses.  Leopold utilizes vivid imagery and his vast wealth of knowledge to paint the area of Sand County, Wisconsin as a paradise.  The most beautifully written and easily readable environmental non-fiction book that there is in my opinion.