What environmental messages does the upcoming Avatar film promote?

It seems to be a general “don’t trash the planet” message, based on these quotes from director James Cameron that I pulled from the wiki page on the film:

“At Comic Con 2009, Cameron told attendees that he wanted to make “something that has this spoonful of sugar of all the action and the adventure and all that, which thrills me anyway as a fan, but also wanting to do something that has a conscience, that maybe in the enjoying of it makes you think a little bit about the way you interact with nature and your fellow man.” He added that “the Na’vi represent something that is our higher selves, or our aspirational selves, what we would like to think we are,” and “the humans in the film, even though there are some good ones salted in, represent what we know to be the parts of ourselves that are trashing our world and maybe condemning ourselves to a grim future.”

Also, the Na’vi (the blue people) supposedly live on an unspoiled planet, and the humans supposedly come to mine it for resources, so the theme is even woven into the basic tensions of the film.  It looks good! 

The environmental message is simple, and general I believe. It generalizes humans as destroyers of land and ravagers of the Earth, while the inhabitants of the planet are one with nature and respect the envronment. I think that while there is a small environmental message, that this movie was made to appeal to as many people as possible and simply to entertain, not to inform. It is by no means a documentary, and at best a parable. Some people may take the message away, but it is not meant to be the main appeal of the epic movie.