What is the easiest way to use less energy with my computer?

Something that is really easy to do, is to turn it off when you aren’t using it. It may seem simple enough, but people tend to leave the computer on more than they think, and that is when you waste the most energy. Another simple thing is to reduce the brightness of the screen. You will be using less energy to power the screen if you don’t have the brightness on full blast. In addition, may computers and laptops have “energy-saving” settings that you can set it to, where the computer will automatically go sleep after a certain time of inactivity.

I second the points made above (especially screen-dimming. My screen is always at its lowest setting). You can also fully quit/shut down programs you aren’t actively using, and do a spyware/virus/malware scan. Lots of things can run in the background on your computer and use up energy.

Treehugger offers several suggestions and additional resources to help you lower your computer’s energy consumption.  See the link below for more information.

dont make the pc screen too bright