What is the easiest way to shrink your carbon footprint?

I really believe that a lot of ways to reduce your carbon footprint are all extremely easy, they only take a little more time than a non green routine. Simply recycling or walking/taking public transportation can help to reduce your carbon footprint more than you may think. Another simple idea is taking reusable bags with you when you grocery shop. I am sure others may have even simpler ideas.

Always be on the lookout for ways to consume less.  When you’re out shopping consider if you really need a product.  If you do need an advanced product (pots and pans, microwaves, radiators, etcetera) spend a little more to get a product with a longer warrantee.  It is better to pay fifty percent more on a product that will last you twice as long.  Don’t forget to look out for Energystar approval as well.  Though it might require a slight change of life style, you will save a lot of money in the process!

To be greener, I think the BEST and EASIEST thing to do is to look at your trash. How much of what you are pitching into the garbage can actually be reused in some way? Plastics are not the only things that can be recycled; shoes and cds are some other examples. Also, how about the sandwich baggies we throw away after one use? Sometimes they aren’t even dirty! You can definitely rinse them out and reuse. Another super easy thing: buy a reusable water bottle. There are tons of easy ways to be green. Just get creative!

I completely agree with the suggestions by prenda11 and mrraccoon. Some additional simple ways to reduce your carbon footprint are to buy locally produced goods, turn down the temperature on your home thermostat for winter heating, and to turn off lights when you leave a room or to install motion sensors on lights.

Buy used products whenever you can. Borrow entertainment, such as books, CDs, movies, etc. from the library instead of purchasing. Participate in community skill shares where resources and ideas can be mobilized for maximum efficiency. Eat local food when its available. Purchase food in bulk to cut back on packaging. Support public transit, or cycling or walking. 

Take public transportation or ride a bike whenever possible. Driving less means both less emissions and less fuel consumption. There are definitely other ways to shrink a carbon footprint, but I feel like reducing the amount of time you spend in your car is pretty easy.

Eat less meat.

It takes more energy to grow crops, feed them to an animal, sustain the animal, and then slaughter it, cook it, and eat it. I’m not saying that in order to reduce one’s carbon footprint one should become a vegetarian; I’m saying that one should think about from where one’s food is coming. Just as reducing meat intake is a good tip, buying local food, as mercury said, is also a good idea.

The easiest way is to start getting into the habit of trying to think about every decision you make during the day. Reusing is so easy, and recycling seems easy once you start doing it. Think before you buy: I’ve gotten into the habit of only buying most of my produce if I can afford to buy it organic. This often means buying less, which also results in throwing away less food. By more real food and less pre-made, packaged, and processed foods.

The EPA has a long list with links and specific ways to be more green.