What is the EarthObserver App?

The EarthObserver App is an educational app for the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad. It’s basically an interactive map of the planet with a HUGE number of features. It’s got nautical charts, area-by-area comparisons of human impact, and even extremely detailed maps of the ocean floor.

Go ahead and check out my link for a detailed list of the ap’s numerous features.  I’ve gotta say, it looks pretty nice! 

Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory of Columbia University in New York developed this application which has only been available since December of last year. Each map has “detailed metadata and citation for each data set.” It was free at first for promotional purposes but now it is available for around 4 dollars. The first link below shows some examples of maps you can view.