What does a rube Goldberg machine do?

A Rube Goldberg Machine is an apparatus purposefully over-engineered that performs a simple task in a more complex manner.  This machine got it’s name from american cartoonist and inventor Rube Goldberg.  This expression is also used to describe a confusing or overly complicated system.

A Rube Goldberg is “a comically involved, complicated invention, laboriously contrived to perform a simple operation.”

You can see many video examples of Rube Goldberg contraptions on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=rube+goldberg+machine&aq=0&oq=rube+gold

To put it in extremely simple terms, a Rube Goldberg is a system of different parts that each trigger the next to perform a fuction which helps create the final product.  For example, in junior high I had to create a Rube Goldberg.  I decided that I wanted mine to make a root beer float at the end.  I set up about 8 different parts which all helped a board to be moved at the end and dump the rootbeer into a cup with ice cream it in.