What does a person have to do or believe to be considered an environmentalist?

In my opinion to claim to be an environmentalist you have to be a vegetarian/vegan. You can recycle and live sustainable all you want, but if you are an avid meat eater, then you are supporting one of the top pollution industries in the world.

I think the definition of environmentalism is extremely broad, and has a different meaning to every person.  I understand sunshine’s point about meat, but I feel that excludes an enormous amount of people who can support the cause.  The more inclusive environmentalists can be, the better.  

Environmentalists have to genuinely care about the wellbeing of this planet. I think this is the most important criteria.  As long as you try to be eco-friendly and understand the issues facing our environment today, I think you can call yourself an environmentalist.