What do you think the range of an EV has to be to make people want to drive them to and from work?

That depends on the distance of the person’s commute. I have a very long commute, about 65 miles each way, almost exclusively on the highway (luckily I take a train and rarely have to drive, but I’ll pretend that I’m driving this commute every day). So I could easily drive 150 miles per day. I wouldn’t want to be stranded if I forget to recharge the car for one night, so I would want the range to be well over two days’ worth of commuting distance. In my case that would be at least 300 miles.

Most other drivers have much shorter commutes, but I think it’s safe to say that people will want their EVs to run for several days, to have peace of mind that the car will be ready to go if there is an emergency. You wouldn’t want to have to stop for gas every day, so a range equivalent to a tank of gas should be a minimum.

300 miles is a good target range. That’s about what my car now gets on a full tank. And the distance of the commute is the big point. Most people only commute about 50 miles a day to and from work, but those that have a greater commute, they would want to have the peace of mind to know that they will make it home safely. Plus, cars aren’t only for commuting to and from work, so the range should be able to support a fairly long drive, no less than the current standards for gasoline cars.

According to the US Department of Transportation, the average driver travels 29 miles per day in about 55 minutes.  I think that a car that goes 100 miles on one charge should be more than enough to get drivers to and from work, and then some.  In my opinion, an electric vehicle isn’t meant for road trips and long distances, so 100 miles per charge should be sufficient.