What do you think is a must read green-themed children’s book?

It isn’t focused entirely on conservation, but Adventures in the Big Thicket by Ken Gire has a lot of great stories that show interactions between wildlife and humans, teaches morals, and gives insight into a lot of great habitats and species. I enjoyed that book a lot growing up.

A green themed book that has been recommended by family.com is Judy Moody Saves the World written by Megan McDonale. The book is about a girl named Judy who tries to save the world by in small, but significant ways, such as raising money to plant trees in the rainforest.

I don’t know of many green-themed books but I did want to mention Fern Gully as a great green-themed movie. It’s a pretty old movie now but I loved it years ago. The main villian is essentially oil that’s destroying a beautiful forest. 

The Lorax by Dr. Suess is not only a classic children’s book, it taught conservation before it was trendy. The Lorax is all about a Suessical environment where the creature, the Lorax, lives and how the “Once-lers” came in and starting chopping down the Truffula trees and the Lorax had no where to go. This book is a great way to show kids the negative effects humans can have on the environment if we do not pay attention. It teaches “Unless someone like you…cares a whole awful lot…nothing is going to get better…It’s not.” And The Lorax movie is coming out later this year! Check out the link for some ideas to talk about this book with your kids.

The Lorax from Dr. Suess is being sold nation-wide; the book is supposedly to be made out of eco-friendly products. The book also talks about the environment and taking smart procedures to take good care of it. Other green books for children is the curious garden by Peter Brown, the earth book by Todd Parr, recycle! by Gail Gibbons, it’s earth day by Mercer Mayer, we are extremely good recyclers by Lauren Child, and the green mother goose by Jan Peck. Most of these books are fairly cheap and affordable. 

I have to agree with jchang14 and bmalc889 about The Lorax. It is a great book about conservation!

Personally, I am a huge science fiction fan. Science fiction books tend to have strong environmental themes. Isaac Asimov is my favorite science fiction author, and a couple of his stories deal with alternative energy. The Gods Themselves is one of those books, but I recommend that one only for more mature readers. Monica Hughes writes more young adult stories, and I enjoyed reading Invitation to the Game when I was in middle school. Also, Eva by Peter Dickenson was my second-favorite book for a long time. My first-favorite book is Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury, who also wrote The Martian Chronicles. The Martian Chronicles has a subtle environmental theme like many of the other books I mentioned, but again I would only recommend that one to more advanced readers.

There is also a sub-genre of anti-population control books in the science fiction realm. I have read several of these books, and in my opinion they are utter garbage. The protagonist is a second or third child who is ostracized or otherwise labeled an outcast by society. Seriously? We can implement population control measures in more creative ways without going all draconian on people.