What do you think it will take for the U.S. government to finally ban BPA in consumer products?

2

Answers

I think that the U.S. will wait for more research to be done before they take any measures regarding BPA.  In February the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences launched 11 new animal studies to observe the effects of BPA.  Although a lot of the exposure to BPA occurs through drinking water, the committee is also investigating the effects of exposure through air and dust.  While British scientists have linked BPA to heart disease, diabetes, and liver-enzyme abnormalities, other experts are disagreeing.  I think that this is why the U.S. is holding out on making a decision, and will wait for the test results before a consensus is reached.

Canada recently deemed BPA a toxic, harmful substance.  Once a substance is deemed harmful, it’s easier to regulate it, and possible to ban it altogether.  Among many other things, the chemical has been linked to Diabetes and obesity, yet for some reason many experts are neglecting to deem it a harmful chemical.  This website was started by the American Chemistry Council (who apparently represent business interests in the plastics market), and is flat out stating all of the negative effects of BPA are myths.  I agree that debate in necessary for progression, but denial?  I say Go Canada!