What do you think about Wal Mart’s plans to buy local produce? Do you think it is greenwashing or will it actually make a positive difference?

I believe it may be a bit of both. I think that Walmart needs to “green” their image, and this is a relatively easy way for them to do so. However, I think it certainly can’t hurt in any way, and it might just help. They will likely still buy from large suppliers, but they will be large, local suppliers. It’s a step in the right direction, even if it’s a small step.

I agree with the comments above, but I think that smaller farmers market suppliers should approach them as well so they are not only buying from large suppliers.  Hopefully there isn’t a large supplier available in all areas so there will be an economic benefit for the local community as well as a health and energy benefit.