What do you see as the barriers to bridging the urban-rural divide?

By “urban-rural divide” I assume you mean the great disparity in political outlook and economic condition between urban and rural populations in the United States, particularly when it comes to national issues and offices. Much has been made, particularly after the 2004 and 2008 US Presidential elections, of the “red state/blue state” chasm and what it means politically going forward. Personally I think demographics and cultural factors are some of the major barriers. In my view it stems mostly from the tumultuous decade of the 1960s where American society, politics, economics and cultural mores changed radically in a very short period of time, and at least in the political sphere we have essentially been re-fighting the battles of the 1960s ever since. What are the limits of civil rights? Who is worthy of inclusion and assimilation into our society? To what degree should social and economic justice be a function of government? What is the meaning of personal freedom and how does it relate to society at large? All of these questions were the building blocks of the 1960s struggles and they continue to resonate today. Urban dwellers in “blue states” take one view of these questions, while rural dwellers of “red states” take another, and both sides are convinced that the other is totally wrong, if not actually dangerous. I think our media and our political systems foster this animosity to an unhealthy degree. As long as politicians of either party campaign on the subtexts left over from those age-old 1960s battles, the divide is going to continue. It will take either a cultural change in our media and political life, or a truly transformative political figure to bridge this divide.

I personally believe population is the main factor between rural and city life. Besides that, the two world are becoming ever similar, with communication reaching exponential growth. The concept of micro-farming, if applied correctly, could produce just as much if not more product from a city than compared to a large-scale farm. Hope I helped, and have a green day!