What do I need to keep my one kidney working well?

I have one kidney. What do I need to do to keep it working and healthy?

Do you have one kidney because you were generous enough to donate to someone in need, or have you suffered from kidney failure which made it necessary to remove a kidney?  Either way, the most important thing for you to do is to get your blood and urine checked for signs of kidney disease and to manage your cholesterol, blood pressure, and general health.  Cut down on your alcohol consumption or avoid alcohol altogether.  Aim to consume less than 1500 mg of sodium daily.  Perform 30 minutes of aerobic exercise per day.  If you are prescribed medication, take it religiously and as directed.  As long as you take the time to maintain a healthy lifestyle and get regular check ups, you can let your doctors do the rest.