What is the definition of Science?

As much as I’d like textbook definitions or those of philosophers of science, I’d especially like to hear YOUR opinions on science. What does it mean to you? Why? Let the philosophical discussion begin!

According to the freedictionary.com, science is “the observation, identification, description, experimental investigation, and theoretical explanation of phenomena.”  Cleary, you’ve got that by yourself.  I would say that science is explaing the world in patterns or logic to a certain extent.  Science does not have the aim to disprove other beliefs, but rather to explain things in a way that does not rely on the acceptance of anything close to “well, that’s just the way things are.”  It is a giant, continuous sudy to explain how the world works, and why certain things happen.  

I think the key word in your answer is ‘continuous’ — the ever-changing, dynamic nature of Science differentiates it from other systems of knowing which tend to ossify and become increasingly dogmatic. Good stuff!