What chemical do we use in thermometers now that we don’t use mercury?

They use batteries and electricity instead

As veganrevolution said, we now have digital thermometers. However, those can be expensive. The thermometers that we use in high school classrooms and other settings where the equipment may break are filled with red-colored alcohol. I have used both types of thermometers, and I think that the alcohol thermometers are easier to read. However, mercury thermometers can be made smaller. My family has an old mercury thermometer for taking our temperatures when we get sick. As long as the glass does not break, there is nothing wrong with using a mercury thermometer. It is a good thing that they are not used in high school classrooms anymore because high schoolers have a tendency to be careless and would probably break a few of them.