What is causing the magnetic poles to shift?

Also, I would like to know if this will cause “drastic changes” to our planet, destructive or not, as depicted by 2012 prophecy?

Geomagnetic reversal has taken place nine times during the past four million years… and perhaps hundreds of times over the entire existence of the Earth. On average one polarity has lasted 500,000 years.

There is not agreement as to why these shifts occur. We can see when they happened by the polarity of small iron bits in the Earth’s layers, and these iron “filings” are super helpful in dating archeological finds since we know when each of the shifts occurred. All over the Earth rocks of the same age have identical records of magnetic shifts.

There appears to be a trend time-wise toward more frequent shifts. The shifts don’t occur all at once but instead are gradual with transition periods that last form 4000 to 8000 years.

There is some agreement that the next shift is about 2000 years away. A search online will yield much hyperbole about this shift occurring suddenly on December 12th, 2012. There is no corroborating scientific research to support this claim.

Some scientist describe shifts in the Earth’s mantel that surrounds the liquid molten core as a possible reason for the shift but there is no supported hypothesis of this that I am aware of or that I could find in my research.