What causes white people to get sun burned so bad?

Difference in skin color is determined by the amount of melanin produced in your skin.  Melanin is a pigment released by cells in the skin called melanocytes, and it serves to protect one’s skin from UV rays.  Everone has roughly the same number of melanocytes in their skin, however the melanocytes in people with darker skin are more active, meaning they produce more melanin, and the melanin makes the skin appear darker.

Melanin is a skin pigment that gives people their skin color. Melanin also acts as a sunscreen and protects the skin from ultraviolet light. Therefore, fair-skinned people tend to have less protection from the sun’s rays than people with darker skin tones.

Just as the other two answers state, it is because of the amount of melanin in one’s skin. My brother and I are adopted and are both very, very pale.  I’m Irish and if I even look at the sun it’s like I’m guaranteed to burn, whereas he is Italian and can put on SPF 15 and not burn one bit.