What causes a stronger tide than normal?

Stronger than normal tide conditions can be caused by several factors. Lunar cycles affect tide, as does storm surge when a hurricane is nearby, air pressure off the coast, and prevailing winds.

I realized after answering this question that I answered what causes HIGHER than normal tide, but not necessarily STRONGER tide.

The strength of the tide can refer to the amount of “pull” the tide has, and this naturally rises and falls with the tidal cycles.

Rip currents, or rip tides, are much stronger than normal, and they are usually caused by lateral tide motions from winds converging on an area. When the lateral tide motions converge, there is a small area where the converging tide must escape, and that is where the rip current is.

Hope that helps.