What causes the shape of the shoreline?

The shape of the shore line is determined by a number of things. Shifting tectonic plates, prehistoric and current volcanoes, whether it’s high tide or low tide, ocean waves which cause erosion and the melting of polar ice which raises sea levels.

Every couple of years I go on vacation to Maui with my family, and I definitely noticed a change in the shoreline since my last visit. I’m not sure if this was from rising ocean levels or coastal erosion, or maybe a combination of both, but the beaches were much shorter than usual. There were also parts of the beach that had steep slopes dropping off into the ocean that weren’t there before. It was rather sad to see, and these are just a few factors into the shaping of shorelines.