What causes growing pains?

There is no evidence supporting the idea that bone growth can cause physical pain in a child. Most likely, doctors claim, the aches originate in the child’s daily activities. All of the running, jumping and other physical activities strain the child’s body, and can lead to discomfort. If a child has growing pains, ask them what they did that day; it is most likely they took part in some strenuous athletic activity. 

My mom always told me that I wasn’t getting enough potassium when I was a kid and very early teen and would have awful leg cramps at night. I looked it up and it doesn’t seem like she was far off. A few articles I have read have cited deficiencies in calcium, magnesium, zinc and potassium as a reason for these pains as well. These are important minerals for tissue, muscle, and bone health, especially for years of high activity and growth.