What can I do with old glass jars laying around the house?

I use them as containers or vases. You can use them to hold crafty items like buttons, stamps, etc.  You can always recycle them too.  

I saw a really cute way to organize craft and other supplies yesterday.  This is an attractive way to store small items.

You can also use them to store leftovers or take your lunch in them.  It is much more safe to microwave in glass than to microwave in plastic containers.  You probably will get to a point where you do have way too many glass jars so recycling is always a great option.

If you’re in need of a recycling center, you can use the site below – simply type in “glass”, along with your zip code, and you will be given a list of nearby places that will accept your jars.

Glass jars are exceptional containers for a multitude of items. I enjoy putting odds & ends in the jars and neatly storing them on shelving, such as buttons & pins. The picture below shows a collection of marbles, but imagine the potential for dry goods – such as rice, seeds or nuts. 

Glass Jar with Marbles

Glass jars also keep dried spices fresh and homemade jam at its best. 

For spring and summer dinner parties they are excellent to use for candle holders. You can set them on the table, have them guide people down paths, and even hang them in the tree. I have a friend who put tea lights in them and hung them from a pergola during her wedding. You can use them as drinking glasses, to hold home-made sauces and salad dressing,or children’s nick-knack toys. 

There are so many things you can do! Have fun and be creative! 🙂

Here is a website of some other ideas that people have come up with.

I love mod-podging them with magazines for a nice colorful vase.  If you’re not opposed to breaking them, they are also great for making mosaics, especially blue ball jars!