What can be done to prevent foreign interests from taking advantage of the fragmented nature of early South Sudanese politics and unfairly gaining access to their natural resources?

I believe the best thing to do for South Sudan is for them to establish a democratic government and stable goverment revenue system. If the government is able to raise funds and then feels obligated to invest in the country’s infrastructure. I think South Sudan’s independence is coming at a good time, environmental tourism is a legit revenue stream making conservation profitable.

If South Sudan can create a collective national identity, unlike the Sudan then there is chance they can legislate themselves and make decisions for their best interest and not foreign interests.