What building in America uses the most energy?

This is a difficult question to answer because it’s not possible to find statistics on specific energy usage by building that are absolutely comparable. However, I’m going to make two educated guesses and explain my reasoning for each one. My first guess is NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital in New York City, which is the largest hospital in America with 2,207 staffed beds. Why? Because medical facilities tend to be the most energy-intensive building uses, gobbling power at twice the rate of offices and three times the rate of schools. As America’s top hospital you can hazard a guess that it is at least on the list of top energy consumers. My second guess is the Pentagon in Arlington, Virginia, which, after the destruction of the World Trade Center towers in the 2001 terrorist attacks became (again) the largest office building in the world with 6.5 million square feet of space to heat in winter, cool in summer and ventilate all the time. Even assuming the tremendous energy costs of a hospital’s medical equipment, lights and other facilities that must be staffed 24 hours a day, I would imagine even business workday energy expenditures at the Pentagon could measure up to or even dwarf NewYork-Presbyterian’s. As I said these are educated guesses, and if another Greenanswers contributor has better information than I was able to find, I welcome any correction.

Talking about the building, I have no more information about it, but I know the green LED fluorescent lamps have become popular choice for new building for the key LED cost stack components of a 60W incandescent equivalent LED bulb as well as the technologies that may accelerate cost and lead to LED bulbs’ market potential.