What is the biggest world disaster when we talk about the environment?

It is hard to say that one is the ultimate worst, however, others have certainly agreed that some of the worst/largest world environmental disasters include:

• Chernobyl: the nuclear explosions sent large quantities of radiation into the earth’s atmosphere
    • Gulf oil spill: the massive amount of oil in the ocean for hundreds of miles, impacting ocean life and habitat, as well as humans
    • Bhopal gas leak
    • Minamata mercury incident in Japan

“Biggest” is a difficult word – it would be useful to ask the question more specifically. There are several ways one could answer the question.

most deaths?

covering the widest area?

most expensive?

most long-lasting impact?

In historic times or over the geologic history of the earth?

Hi rigibson, I see your point. When I asked this question it was when the gulf oil spill was on my mind and I was wondering what other giant environmental disasters have had a bigger effect on the natural environment. Specifically, I was wondering if there is any single human caused disaster that is widely considered to be the most destructive and on the planet’s natural world.

The intentionally set oil field fires in Kuwait in 1991 arguably damaged much more natural environment than the 2010 BP blowout. While it is much vaguer, I would think that many people might point to human-caused climate changes as the single (broadly speaking) human-caused thing that causes destruction. Another somewhat more specific, but still broad possibility could be the cutting of rainforests. Even the phrase “most destructive” is subjective – should we go back in time and count the (possible; the idea is controversial) human-caused extinction of the Pleistocene megafauna (mammoths etc.)?

Having said all that, for a specific, I might still vote for the Kuwait oil fires. But there could well be good other candidates.