What is the best way to fly with a guitar, or is shipping it the better choice?

I have a priceless guitar that I want with me when I fly home. What is the best method for doing that without causing damage to it. (Buying the guitar a seat on the plane is not an option for me.)

If you don’t want to stow your guitar under the plane, not recommended, you can see if they will stow it in a cabin on the plane. Also, some airlines can fit a guitar inside the overhead bins. If it is a flat guitar you may be able to put it in a garment bag and ask the flight attendant to put it in the coat closet. Everything varies for different airlines; I would recommend calling the airline ahead just to check. If none of these options are available to you, then shipping it would be a better choice. Call the airlines first, it never hurts to ask.