What is the best way to conserve energy in your home?

You can unplug electrical items in your home to reduce kilowatt-hours (which electrical companies use to charge you for), use lots of natural gas; iike a fire place or heating stove, close empty rooms can result in reduction in the area that heating and air-conditioning systems have to heat and cool, watch out for your thermostat and sleep under the covers (becuase you won’t have to increase your thermostat when your warm in your bed). 

There are several ways in which you can conserve energy in your household. For example, by insulating and plugging places where air can get through, you will be able to stop the transfer of heat. Make you sure only run your dishwasher when it is full, and allow your dishes to air dry to conserve heat. Also, wash your clothes in warm or cold water, as opposed to hot. Lower your thermostat in the winter, and if it gets a little too cold for your liking, just layer your clothing. Use energy-efficient appliances, like those that qualify for an Energy Star label. Additionally, use compact fluorescent lights (CLF) instead of traditional incandescent bulbs – CLF bulbs use about 1/4 the energy and last much longer. And don’t forget, always reduce, reuse, and recycle paper, plastic, and glass when possible. For more tips, please refer to the links provided.

Aside from all of the great ideas mentioned above, another cost effective way to conserve energy is to invest in a voltage optimisation system.  As you may or may not know, incoming voltage from the national grid is supplied at an average of 242 volts, sometimes even higher, yet the voltage needed to supply your household appliances is generally a lot lower, but because the voltage which comes out of the grid is higher, you are paying for this extra electricity whether you want it or not, and also using more carbon.  VO4HOME is a voltage optimisation device designed for use in homes and small businesses.  The unique VO4HOME product optimises the incoming voltage to a constant 220V giving household members immediate and significant energy savings and reduced carbon emissions for the whole home. Is this something that you guys have heard of? 

Everyone else who has answered has already given you a lot of great ideas, but I’ll mention a few I try to use daily.

Instead of turning OFF the lights every time you leave a room, only turn them off if you’ll be out of the room for more than 15 minutes – if you’ll need to turn them back on in less than 15 minutes, you’ll actually waste more energy than just leaving them on would. Also, during the day, open your blinds/curtains to let in natural light so you won’t need your home lights. As long as the temperature outside is above freezing, I turn off my AC/heater whenever I leave the house (again as long as I’m leaving for more than 15 minutes). When the weather is nice, leave your windows open to save AC use too. Make sure your doors and windows are well-sealed so the air from your apartment isn’t escaping out. Again, unplug anything you’re not using – some appliances can use up to 10% of their energy even if you’re not using them.

Attached in the citations is a great source for energy-saving tips for all parts of your home.

A couple other things I try to do to save energy are unplugging appliances that aren’t in use, particularly laptop and phone chargers. I sleep under extra blankets at night so that i can turn my thermostat down. It helps because not only do I feel good about helping the environment but it helps out on my energy bill at the end of the month. Energy Quest gives specifc numbers like keeping the thermostat at 68 during the winter during the day and 55 at night (health permitting).