What is the best vegan dish that you have ever eaten, either at home or in a restaurant?

If in a restaurant, which one?!

Carne de soya empanadas – We make these in our home in Chile.  It’s empanada dough (flour, salt, sugar, baking soda, water, oil) filled with carne de soya (I’ve never seen this in the U.S., but basically it’s like dehydrated tofu that you hydrate), curry powder, onions, olives, and raisins.  Maybe it sounds weird, but it’s so good.  

I’ve had quite a few delicious ones, but I’ll describe the first one that popped in my mind: a multi-bean soup. I slowly cook a bag of black beans, kidney beans, lentils, peas, white beans, lima beans, and about 10 other types! (I bought this mix from the local farmers’ market.) Since they were dry beans, it took a while. I add in liberal amounts of chopped onions, celery, and garlic and let it simmer. Near the end, I mix in chopped kale or other dark greens, then season with salt and pepper. It’s quite simple, but hearty and delicious.

deep fried chickpea patties, usually eaten in a wrap or pita sandwich. 

There is this place called Lovin Hut. It is a chain restaurant with a mission from a Supreme Master Ching Hai. The mission is to save the world. The restaurant is pretty much vegan fast food and it is delicious. Everything on the menu, including their cakes and other deserts are vegan. No worries whatsoever.

Master Ching Hai leads a kind of a cult, although in the best sence of the word. At Lovin Hut, you can grab her book for FREE and they play on their television and sound her radio station and television channel. It is wild. Please check it out. There are many locations in many states and many countries. They also offer vegan dog food. Contact me and let me know what you think about this place and their “cult”.

PERSIAN FOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love love love persian food. The best dish would have to be baby eggplant with dill rice, along with aash soup and caspian eggplant. The adass polo is also awesome, but whatever you get, get Dill Rice. The place to go is Noon O Kabab if you are in Chicago. Absolute must for anyone, vegan or not. 

Though I’m not vegan, I’ve had many excellent vegan meals. The one that immediately comes to mind is something I made at home last week.

Where I live, the first of the summer crops are just starting to come up. I went to the farmer’s market for the first time this year, and they had two of my favorites: fresh yellow squash and fresh asparagus.

We bough them and took them home. We sauteed the asparagus in olive oil and butter and finished them with a bit of salt. We sauteed the squash in a bit of butter, soy sauce, and teriyaki sauce.

It won’t get any better until my own vegetables are ready to eat!