What is the best renewable energy source from manufacturing to energy production?

Best?  it depends how you define best, like least impact on the environment, most economical, most effiecient, etc.

I would say that solar is the best becasue I have solar panels on my house and they provide 100% of the energy needed to operate a 3100 square foot house for 8 months out of the year in the hot Texas sun.  

The bottom line for solar is this:  today, what investment can you make in ANYTHING that will not only pay for itself but also pay you back in thousands and possibly tens of thousands of dollars (depending on the life of the system) over the life of the products warranty which is typically 25 years?  On top of that, solar panel typically still output at least 50% of the energy they did when new even 40 years after they are installed.  Nothing beats it for an investment. 

So why isn’t everyone buying solar?

Two reasons.  1) ignorance of the facts and the current 30% federal rebate (and many local rebates depending on where you live), and 2) the up front cost.  

The first point can be dealt with through education.  The second point can be dealt with through a low interest loan.

Like SolarHippy explains, there are advantages and disadvantages to each source. There are varying efficiency rates which fluctuate throughout the days and throughout the seasons. Because of this it is difficult to compare the efficiencies of a single unit from each source. We can however look at the pros and cons of these different renewable sources:

• Photovoltaic is cheapest measured by kWh, at 25 cents per 125 kWh. Wind energy cost 5 cents per 13 kWh and small hydraulics 3 cents per 10 kWh. (There are external costs considered in the economics of renewable energy which will be excluded in this comparison).
    • Wind energy has more energy producing potential than solar, but it is limited to areas with high wind exposure where turbines won’t impose on any residences. In some of these areas high winds are seasonal. 
    • Solar panels are capable of daily energy output provided there is sun. Panels are not limited to uninhabited areas, they can be mounted onto most roofs and contribute to the local power grid. 
    • Hydroelectric plants are a large investment, sometimes initiated by the state. They have consistent power output although the watts produced fluctuate with water pressure. Hydroelectric plants have traditionally produced the most power; 58 hydroelectric plants in the Western US produced 42 billion kWh annually.

I agree fully with solarhippy and aaron10. Solar energy is the way to go. I recently learned that solar power prices are dropping, and I was so excited.

The fact that solar energy can only be collected at certain times of the day is only a minor hurdle. I think that by storing solar power in electric vehicles and other battery systems, we can completely ditch fossil fuels. Used cooking oil can be used for the rare occasions when people want to travel farther than 200 miles from home.