What is the best natural shampoo?

Try baking soda and an apple cider vinegar rinse if you want to go totally natural, for cheap.

A really great natural shampoo is Nature’s Gate. They have all types of scents and for all different hair types. You can find it at Whole Foods or any other natural or organic store. You can also find a lot of other great natural body and hair products at Whole Foods.

This website offers a lot of recipes for natural shampoo you can make at home. They are easy to make and natural. Some are for general use, and some are specific: anti-itch, dandruff, oily hair, blonde hair, shampoo for high gloss…

I have very thin, fine hair and I like JASON and Nature’s Gate shampoo, both of which can be found at Whole Foods and other natural foods stores. I have heard good things about Burt’s Bees shampoo too, though it is more expensive than others. Cosmetics Database has a listing of shampoos and their environmental rating. 

A shampoo I really like is JustNatural shampoo. They offer shampoo for all types of hair. Most of their shampoos do not containt chemicals, alcohol, harsh detergents, and are made in the USA. A really good aspect of this product is that they vegan and do nto test on animals.

Firstly, stay away from shampoos that contain the cleaning agent sodium lauryl sulfate. I’ve read multiple sources which say the agent can prevent healthy hair growth–just google it. Secondly, we use Dr. Bronner’s all-in-one soap bar. The ingredients seem natural, and it doesn’t contain sodium lauryl sulfate! We got it at Ricky’s, but I’m pretty sure Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods carry it.

I love shampoo and conditioner called Everyday Shea by Alaffia.  The Alaffia company is very eco-friendly. I love their company mission statement:

Alaffia was founded to alleviate poverty and advance gender equality in West Africa through the fair trade of handcrafted shea butter. Our mission embodies three clear principles:

Sustainable Ingredients

CREATE – We formulate and create our products based on indigenous beauty knowledge and unrefined, fair trade ingredients.
    INFORM – Our products inform the public about interconnections between communities and how, together, we can alleviate poverty through fair trade and sustainable choices.
    EMPOWER – Our fair trade shea butter cooperative and community projects encourage self empowerment and gender equality for women in our West African communities.