What is the best method for home canning?

Although you’ll find a lot of different methods for canning procedures, I highly recommend checking the links below.  One will take you to the USDA’s “Safe Canning” PDF — which provides more “don’ts” than “do’s” but will help create a knowledge base to get you going.  Most of the material I found regarding canning suggested doing a decent amount of specific research regarding what you are canning (fruits, veg, etc).

There are three basic varieties of canning:  1) Water bath canning, 2) Pressure canning, 3) Freezer canning.  You will need to buy proper containers for canning — with pressure canning requiring the largest investment.

This website: http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art2816.asp, seems to have a great deal of information and instructions as well.

I have attached a link that describes the USDA approved home canning methods. 

As Michael said, there are lots of procedures for canning. Water bath canning is  the usual procedure used at home, though pressure canning is getting more popular these days. Here’s a very informative article that you can read to get more tips on residential canning.