What is the best environmental writer of all time?

My money would be on Henry David Thoreau, most famous for Walden, and Walt Whitman, the barbaric-yawping father of American Poetry.  In the twentieth century, Jack London and Wallace Stegner come to mind.  But out of all of them, I’d have to say Whitman is the best writer.

“I believe that a leaf of grass is no less than the journey work of the stars.” — Whitman, Leaves of Grass

I like Whitefish’s answer, but I think you can make a case that Rachel Carson deserves some credit as being a particularly influential environmental writer. Carson was a marine biologist who worked for the US Bureau of Fisheries before she became a full-time writer in the 1950s, mostly writing on environmental topics. Her big claim to fame was the book Silent Spring, released in 1962, which focused on the effects of pesticides on the environment. Silent Spring was so influential that it eventually led to the US banning the production and use of DDT, then the most popular and widespread pesticide in use. Unfortunately Carson did not live long after her groundbreaking book, for she died of complications related to breast cancer in 1964. She is credited with sparking the modern US environmental movement. Her childhood home in western Pennsylvania was put on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.