What is the best environmental documentary you have seen?

An Inconvenient Truth, by Al Gore, beautifully explained the problem of climate change. It also went over potential solutions. The documentary was instrumental in raising awareness about climate change. By extension, it was also critical in changing our environmental policies, and getting us on track to make real progress in fighting global warming.

I agree.  And I would add that “An Inconvenient Truth” is also successful because it is accessible and straightforward. It doesn’t take a scientific background to understand, and it is a great way to learn a lot even if you are coming from a clean slate, not knowing anything about climate change or the environment.  It is very informative, yet open to everyone to enjoy and understand.

I would add the Planet Earth documentary series. I feel like the best way to help raise awareness of environmental issues is to remind people how intricately and richly beautiful our planet is. I think the Planet Earth Series does this superbly – it presents the myriad wonders of the Earth, and sort of says “it’s not always placid and it’s very often odd, but here it is”. And of course most of the time people are quite impressed.