What is the average wind speed of a tornado?

2

Answers

The Fujita Scale is used to measure the wind speed of a tornado. The average wind speeds are usually 112 mph or less. The average forward speed of a tornado is 30 mph.

According to Wikipedia: “Most tornadoes have wind speeds between 40 mph (64 km/h) and 110 mph (177 km/h), are approximately 250 feet (75 m) across, and travel a few miles (several kilometers) before dissipating.”  Although some can reach much more intense speeds: up to 300 MPH!!! That’s a scary amount of energy, and an energy source, which I’m sure, in the future, will be tapped and harnessed. The only question is how?  (I know, but I’m not going to share that much with you [without receiving anything besides a quarter in return, at least! you'll just have to buy my book when it comes out next year!])