What are your favorite natural cold remedies?

Coincidently, I am currently fighting an annoying cough and I have two favorite natural cold remedies. The first is a blast of fresh juice from fruits and vegetables that have a high vitamin C content and antioxidants. This time of year is great for juicing fresh, organic apples, oranges, carrots, grapefruits, pears, and pomegranites. The second thing that I like to do when I have a cold is drink a warm cup of echinacea herbal tea with a raw, eco-friendly spoonful of honey. Both of these things always calm my coughs and sooth my irritating throat.

Hot Toddy! This is what my parents used to do and it works pretty well if you add a pile of blankets and sleep on top of that!

I always start taking echinacea as soon as I feel something coming on. I also recently started using a Neti Pot for head colds and sinusy stuff and was surprised to find out that it actually works pretty well. I wish I could have found a ceramic one instead of the plastic one that I got, but I wasn’t aware that they existed.

For coughs, I’ve found that chewing on ginger and swallowing honey are great ways to calm the coughs that are spasmodic and just won’t stop.Honey helps a sore throat too, as does gargling warm, salty water followed by hot water with lemon.

I find that avoiding all cooked food and only eating ripe preferably organic tropical fruit and locally grown green leafy things as well as using a product called ‘Ease-a-Cold’ extremely helpful. While I am a raw vegan most of the time, I have had a desire to eat pizza. When I went to New Zealand in August 2011 I ate 2 pizzas in succcessive nights and subsequently contracted the flu. I neglected to take ease-a-cold with me but staying raw made my condition tollerable but prevented me from any further skiing.

I eat a lot of berries and drink Celestial Seasonings Wellness Tea. It has echinacea, zinc, vitamin C, eucalyptus, and peppermint. It definitely helps me to recover more quickly. 

The best way is either take Hot ginger tea mixed with pepper and honey!  Or else you can have Chinese Hot an Sour Soup !