What are you doing to celebrate Earth week?

I am spending as much time outside as possible. I am also doing some trash clean up around my local parks. It is great to join any kind of local celebrations that are being put on in your community.

Planting my garden! The oaks are beginning to leaf out, which means that there has been enough warmth in the season so far to get some of the warm weather crops in the ground. The potatoes, brassicas, peas, various lettuces, spinaches, arugula, and root veggies are already in the ground. Soon to come are corn, beans, summer squash, solanums (peppers, tomatoes, eggplant). I can’t believe its already almost May, and I can’t think of a better way to celebrate the earth than to spend my days with my hands in the soil tending to the plants. I think I also have a few fruit and nut trees that need to be planted and grapes too!

Spreading awareness on Facebook, through e-mail and conversations in person.  I wrote an article about the Great Pacific Garbage Patch a couple years ago, and I like to honor Earth by helping inform people about the conditions that exist, and ways to improve them.  I’ve also started a blog that lists ways of helping to save the planet.  It’s still in construction, but it’s called ‘thedutchdragonfly.blogspot.com’

I went to see OCEANS!  It was wonderful!   Seriously, if you have not seen it yet, you MUST.  Wonderful movie.  You will laugh, you will cry, and you will FOR SURE want to save the planet after.