What are “world class rapids”

That sounds like a buzzword with no concrete definition. Perhaps a better way to decide on rapids to canoe or raft down is the International Scale of River Difficulty. This goes from 1 to 6, with 1 being easy and 6 being extremely difficult. Good rafting!

I would agree that “world class rapids” is an imprecise buzzword. But, I think that world-class rafting generally refers to the higher levels on the scale of river difficulty, especially levels IV and V. The first source below supports this idea. Level IV is for advanced rafters and presents intense rapids with some unavoidable waves and small passages, though the rapids are predictable. Level V is for expert rafters and features long and violent rapids, among other difficulties.