What are sulphites? Are they bad for you?



  1. 0 Votes

    Sulphites are substances that naturally occur in food and the human body. They are also regulated food additives that are used as preservatives to maintain food colour and prolong shelf-life, prevent the growth of micro-organisms, and to maintain the potency of certain medications. Sulphites are usually safe to eat but some people can be highly sensitive and may react to sulphites with allergy-like symptoms. Sulphites can trigger asthma and symptoms of anaphylactic reaction.

  2. 0 Votes

    Sulphites are a food additive that some people are sensitive to and will have an reaction that is similar to that of a food allergy. It is in the top nine food allergens, although the reaction is not considered a true allergy.

    Sulphites are present in wine and preserved food. Common reactions are headaches, itching, throat swelling, sneezing, and hives. Sulphite sensitivity is a higher risk for people who have asthma.

Please signup or login to answer this question.

Sorry,At this time user registration is disabled. We will open registration soon!