What are some of the worst environmental damages going on right now besides the oil spill?

I recently read an article for one of my classes that I found really interesting.  According to the article, “toxic smoke from primitive stoves is one of the leading environmental causes of death and disease.”  It also claims that toxic smoke is the second biggest contributor to global warming, preceded only by the burning of fossil fuels.  Only recently has the issue began to attract the attention of the media and government.  I find it interesting that something that supposedly has such a huge impact on the environment is getting no attention whatsoever.  I am anxious to see what happens regarding the issue in the future.