What are some reliable soap making instructions out there that do not involve using lye, lard, and harsh chemicals?

I am particularly interested in hearing from people who have made their own soap before.

3

Answers

The answer is there is no way  to make bar soap without lye (sodium hydroxide).  You need the correct proportions of fat to lye to have the complete chemical transition into soap. Soap is made by mixing animal or vegetable oils/ fats with lye that has been dissolved in water. Whether the final soap is solid or liquid is determined by the type of lye used. Sodium hydroxide makes a solid soap.  Potassium hydroxide makes a liquid or soft soap. When lye solution is mixed with the oils, a chemical reaction occurs. The lye and fatty acids combine to make soap and glycerin is left over.

I understand what you’re saying. I probably should have been more clear. I’m looking for instructions in which I do not have to purchase lye and directly use it myself, so basically, I’m looking for instructions in which I would use soap base or bar soap that has already been through the process of lye turning to soap and then add other ingredients. Instructions involving turning bar soap into liquid soap are of particular interest.

Melt the soap with water and then add vegetable glycerin. You can find glycerin at your local drugstore. The woman who wrote this article made ~2 liters of hand soap from one bar of soap. Grate the bar soap into flakes before you melt it; there are instructions at the bottom of the article.