What are some of the more well known green manufacturers?

Today it seems everyone is jumping on the green bandwagon. Some leading manufacturers are: GE, Siemens, Nissan, Panasonic, Cisco, Du-Pont, Anheuser-Busch, Coca-Cola and Tesla Motors.

Many retail companies are also going Green as well. Some of the these leading green companies are: Wal-Mart, Starbucks, the Home Depot, McDonald’s, and Bank of America.

cox01 is definitely right that a lot of companies are “going green”. But, to play devil’s advocate, how green is a company like Wal-Mart?

Wal-Mart has recently said that they plan to improve their trucks fuel efficiency by 25%. This would make a huge difference in the emissions put out by these trucks through shipping. They even plan to be carbon neutral. Great!

But, consider that Wal-mart also had to pay $27.6 million in 2010 because of improper disposal of toxic chemicals in California and $1.15 million in Connecticut for violations in 22 of their stores. The company also is notorious for hiring illegal workers that they pay well below minimum wage, buy products from companies with little to no care for the environment (most of which come from China), as well as used illegal wood harvested in Russian habitats for Siberian Tigers. They promised to stop selling these products…in 2013. Not to mention, Wal-Mart offers the lowest prices in town. That’s what makes them so popular. But, Green products are always more expensive and to carry all environmentally minded products would be absolutely impossible for Wal-Mart if they want to maintain their low prices. 

My point is not to argue, but to ask the question: what does it really mean to be a green company? I can say I will use 25% less gas every year but if I burn all my garbage in the back yard and take half hour showers every day, it doesn’t do much good, right?

Just curious to hear other people’s definition of “green”.