What are some ideas for going green in our daily lives?

Search greenanswers. This has been addressed hundreds of times.

This depends on your environment.  For example, I practice a number of “green living techniques” but since I live in Southern rural Chile, some of my advice might not necessarily be practical to you if you live in say, the Upper West Side of Manhattan.  I do have some recommendations that I think the average American can use.

The biggest and simplest thing people can do is reduce their consumption.  Here are some practices most people can probably apply rather easily to their every day lives:

1.  When you go to the store take a cloth bag with you so that you don’t have to use disposable bags.

2. Travel with your own non-disposable mug, so you can avoid using throw-away cups.

3.  In your home, if you live alone or if all are willing, this phrase can help you converse how much water your disposing through flushing your toilet.  “If it’s yellow, let it mellow.  If it’s brown, flush it down.”

4. Buy local produce if you can.  Go to your farmers’ marker.  So much petroleum is used to transport food today.

5.  If you have the space and the weather, hang your clothes out to dry.  Dryers use a ton of energy, and most countries outside the U.S. don’t even use them.

If you do live in an urban environment like New York and you’re interested but not sure how to go about making your life greener, I recommend the book No Impact Man by Colin Beaven, a blogger who went one year with his family in Manhattan without electricity, plastic, and anything that makes an impact on the environment.  Maybe you don’t want to take it to the extreme that Beaven did, but you might pick up some neat ideas along the way.  Here’s a link to some information about the book.

I recently started composting and have found it to be easier than I thought it would be.  Composting is an excellent way to avoid both wasting useful, natural resources and creating environmental problems, while at the same time producing a high quality and inexpensive soil.

I attached an article that will teach you step-by-step how to compost at home.