What are some green meals for my family?

To make meals more environmentally friendly, use local produce and products. This reduces the environmental consequences of shipping food all over the county (and world!). Using produce that is in season helps to make sure you are getting it from a more local source. Additionally, the less processes the food is, the better for the environment it typically is. There are always hidden ingredients that needed to be produces and processed. Also, processed food is sometimes shipped to a few manufacturers before the entire food has been created, and packaging waste becomes and issue when food is wrapped, then wrapped in pallets or boxes to be shipped. 

I agree with rachelk. Shop for food at local farmers markets to ensure high quality, fresh, healthy food. With fresh fruits and vegetables, the best way to keep them healthy is keep them as close to their natural state as possible; meaning don’t overcook, don’t use to much oil, don’t fry, etc. Meat is ok, as long as it is enjoyed in moderation, and with plenty of vegetables. Drink water or milk instead of soda or juice. 

Like both rachelk and lorena mentioned, buying locally sourced food is key to making green meals. It is good for the environment and also gives back to the community by buying from local farmers and markets. It’s also a great idea to eat fruits and vegetables that are in season. With summer coming up, there are plenty of fruits and vegetables that will be in season, like watermelon, strawberries and pears. 

sdayan712, lorena and rachelk made some great points.  By substituting organic and local ingredients you are already on the right track.  Also, you can cut back on your meat intake.  Eating less meat can be one of the greatest green moves a person can make.  Did you know that one pound of beef requires around 12,000 gallons of water to produce?  If you make one vegetarian meal a week, you would be greatly lowering your carbon foot print.  http://fatfreevegan.com/ has some great recipe ideas to help get you started.

Hunting for your meat is a great option, instead of cutting back on your meat intake. Sustenance hunting is a great organic method of obtaining your meat without the risk of commercial contamination (E-coli). White-tail deer population has exploded across American and hunting them is a way to help cut down on the destruction caused by overpopulation. 

One of my favorite eco-friendly dishes to make is a tofu-scramble.  What’s great is that you can add or subtract any (or all!) of your favorite ingredients and make it different each time!

Basically all you have to do “scramble” up some extra firm tofu in a large pan.  I cook mine in a little olive oil for about 5 minutes (I like mine extra crispy).  Once the tofu is browned, let the veggie adding begin.  I love tomatoes, broccoli, zucchini and cauliflower.  Sometimes I’ll steam the veggies before I throw them in or if I want a little extra crunch, I throw them in raw.  You can also chop the veggies big or small.  A seemingly minor difference but I think it actually changes the taste/texture of the dish.  Then add your favorite spices.  I love salt & pepper (I’m a simple girl) and a little cayenne but you can really add anything you like.  Also, sometimes I’ll add the spices while I steam the veggies — I change it up each time.  Let all this veggie goodness cook for about 8 minutes (give or take) and then serve up and enjoy!  

Like the others mentioned, the more local and organic the produce you use, the greener and better for the environment the recipe is so keep that in mind when you’re shopping for your veggies and tofu.  I also attached a scramble recipe if you want to follow exact quantities.