What are some good tips for green job seekers?

If you can go to college look into majors like environmental studies or biology for a start. There are also technician programs in careers like wind power. Also look into the various green job boards worth looking at too.

I wasn’t sure if you meant tips for being green in your job search, or tips for those looking for green jobs. I can speak a little to the latter – experience of all kinds with the environment is a definite asset. It doesn’t have to be work experience. Depending on the field you’re interested in, this could entail anything from interning with an environmental organization to volunteering with your local park. VolunteerMatch is a website which matches your interests with local causes and non-profits – see the first link below.

In regards to the former, sending your resume via email rather than faxing or mailing it, use double-sided printing for your materials and using recycled paper are some tips that come to mind.

As a current environmental science and studies student I can say that while I’ve been dabbling in the job market and attempting to score internships I’ve realized that the business is in the process of changing dramatically. Technology and mindsets of the past is now rudimentary. I have come to the realization that there a few types of green jobs and more you know of each of these will in turn effect your job placement. Labwork in the field and in a lab- Chem/biol, Geography, geology, Non-profit/Government and so forth.

Something that has effected me is my knowledge of GIS and other geographical assets. Technology has DRASTICALLY changed in the field of GIS and there is a need for those who are experienced in these areas to put the technology to use in mapping underwater systems that we have never been able to do before.

I have also realized that I’m not fit to work in a lab situation with a labcoat on and blood samples in test tubes. This has all narrowed my specs down a sizeable level.

My advice, experience on your resume. Find your niche’ and stock up on experience and build an expertise in that aspect of the environmental realm. If you’re in environmental chemistry, your resume’ better have places you’ve done research, journals you’ve been a contributor too, and professors/professionals that can vouch for you and for your work. I know plenty of my peers that are even staying in college an extra YEAR to stock up on experience while it’s cheaper and easier to do.

Good luck.