What are some good environmental myths?

My favorite nature myths come from Ovid’s Metamorphoses. Daphne gets turned into a laurel tree. Baucus and Philemon become oak-trees. The impious sailors of Dionysus become dolphins. Narcissus becomes a narcissus.

These days, by means of different sorts of metamorphoses, all of these things get turned into strip malls.

I actually found a website that has a list of common environmental myths.  Number two on the list is the myth that there are only about 1,000 species in the world that are in danger of extinction.  In reality is is suspected that over 10,000 species will go extinct this year alone.  For more myths see the link below.

I think one of the biggest myths is that recycling is the most important thing you can do for the environment.  That’s simply untrue.

It’s meant to be a hierarchy.  We should reduce first and foremost, and then re-use, and then, after those options have been exhausted, recycle.

There’s a lot more to environmentalism than just that, of course, but that is one of the most propogated myths.

Here’s a great video that debunks this myth: