What are some effective natural acne remedies?

Other than eating right and drinking lots of water.

According to the Mayo Clinic, some effective acne treatments include tea tree oil, alpha hydroxy acid which is found in citric fruits, and azelaic acid. Tea tree oil may be just as effective as creams containing 5% benzoyl peroxide. However, you should not use tea tree oil to fight acne if you suffer from acne rosacea because it can make symptoms worse. Alpha hydroxy acid helps fight acne by removing dead skin cells and unclogging pores. Azelaic acid has antibacterial properties and thus helps reduce the symptoms of acne. Oral supplements such as zinc and Brewer’s yeast also help fight acne. Zinc helps reduce inflammation and heals wounds. However, brewer’s yeast may cause some intestinal upset and/or migraines. 

Salt water also helps clear up skin.  It exfoliates and tightens your pores.  Anytime I would go on vacation to the beach I would find that my skin would look so much clear.  I finally looked it up, and found out that salt water does help your skin.  I live in Chicago so access to salt water really isn’t an option.  I buy sea salt and just mix some into regular water.  It has been working well for me!

Eating a healthy and balanced diet is one of the best things you can do for your skin, along with drinking lots of water. Water is a great natural detox for the body, and I often find that I feel better when hydrated as well. There are also certain foods that I notice that give me acne flare ups, such as chocolate and rich cream sauces. It’s important to notice how your skin reacts to these foods and to limit consumption of them. 

I personally use tea tree oil for all lesions and it has proved very effective in speeding the healing time.  Witchhazel washes are another beneficial herbal solution for acne.  Witchazel washes should be used in moderation because alcohol is used to extract the vital compounds.  Products that contain alcohol will dry out the skin if they are used too frequently.  Calendula creams may also prove to be beneficial, as they are considered a panacea for skin disorders.

I highly recommend tea tree oil. I get tea tree/eucalyptus soap from Dr. Bronner’s. Tea Tree oil naturally kills bacteria, reduces redness, acts as an anti-inflammatory, and helps heal wounds in the skin. I have noticed improvements in my face since using it, though you may have to balance it with a facial moisturizer if it dries out areas of your skin.